NHS Healthy Start
NHS Healthy Start
Get help to buy food and milk!
Did you know you can get 4.25 every week to help you buy;
- cow’s milk
- fresh, frozen or tinned fruit and vegetable
- infant formula milk
- fresh, dried and tinned pulses
You can also get free Healthy Start vitamins.
You will get a prepaid card to use in lots of shops that sell healthy food and milk. You can use your card in most shops that let you pay by card. You can also use your card to collect free Healthy Start vitamins.
Who can apply?
Under 18’s: Anyone who is under 18 and pregnant can apply.
Over 18’s, you must be:
- At least 10 weeks pregnant or
- Have at least one child under 4
Also be getting any of these benefits:
- Child Tax Credit (only if your family’s annual income is £16,190 or less)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Pension Credit (which includes the child addition)
- Universal Credit (only if your family’s take-home pay is £408 or less per month from employment)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and over 10 weeks pregnant
- you or your partner get Working Tax Credit run-on only.
How to apply
Go to the website www.healthystart.nhs.uk
Fill in the application form.
Receive your prepaid card in the post.
Activate you card by calling 0300 330 2090 and get your PIN.
Shop for healthy food and milk in any shop that accepts Mastercard® card payments. Your card will be topped up with your payment every four weeks. Show your card when you collect your free Healthy Start vitamins.
If you can’t apply online you can call the helpline on 0300 330 7010. Your call will be charged at a local rate.
How to contact NHS Healthy Start
To talk to someone about NHS Healthy Start, call 0300 330 7010
Open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. Your call will be charged at a local rate.
Email NHS Healthy Start: email@example.com
For help with your prepaid card, call 0300 330 2090.
- activate your card
- find out your PIN
- check how much money is on your card
- tell us your card is lost or stolen
Open all day every day. Your call will be charged at a local rate.
The allpay prepaid card is issued by allpay Ltd pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated. allpay Ltd is a company regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 900539) for the issuance of electronic money. Head office and registered address: Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Hereford, HR1 3SE (Company No 02933191). Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.